Try to test the installation of eSASS

mokshahuja09

Try to test the installation of eSASS

Post by mokshahuja09 »

Hello,

I am currently trying to test the eSASS4DR1 installation, which is step 6 on the page for the installation instructions (https://erosita.mpe.mpg.de/dr1/eSASS4DR ... n/#Support). I am currently running on an apple M2, arm64.

In this step I need to run a command in the "scripts" directory and use the demoscript_DR1.py

./demoscript_DR1.py /Users/mokshahuja/Documents/Rand_eSASS/eb01_117048_020_EventList_c010.fits ./MyResults

Upon running this command, an error was generated:

This script will use eSASS installed in None
and the executables in:
/Users/mokshahuja/Documents/eSASS_install/eSASS4DR1/eSASS/bin.
evtool: 2.29.2.3 eSASS4DR1 May 14 18:03:30 2024
In file '../../task/erolib/erolib_bintable_mod.f90', around line 6498: Error allocating 3537836542781169664 bytes: Cannot allocate memory

Error termination. Backtrace:

Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference.

Backtrace for this error:
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/mokshahuja/Documents/eSASS_install/eSASS4DR1/eSASS/scripts/./demoscript_DR1.py", line 536, in <module>
main(sys.argv)
File "/Users/mokshahuja/Documents/eSASS_install/eSASS4DR1/eSASS/scripts/./demoscript_DR1.py", line 528, in main
RunTasks()
File "/Users/mokshahuja/Documents/eSASS_install/eSASS4DR1/eSASS/scripts/./demoscript_DR1.py", line 122, in RunTasks
subprocess.check_call(cmd)
File "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 368, in check_call
retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
File "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 351, in call
return p.wait(timeout=timeout)
File "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 1189, in wait
return self._wait(timeout=timeout)
File "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 1917, in _wait
(pid, sts) = self._try_wait(0)
File "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 1875, in _try_wait
(pid, sts) = os.waitpid(self.pid, wait_flags)
KeyboardInterrupt

As I am completely new to this, please assume that I have very little knowledge of using the terminal. If you can help me in way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and help.
IanStewart

Re: Try to test the installation of eSASS

Post by IanStewart »

Hi there,

As you may know, the purpose of the demo script is to run several of the esass tasks on example input files, just to check that they work. The task at which your run is failing is called evtool. The purpose of evtool is to filter an event list on several criteria, and/or to merge together several different event lists into a single one. I am the maintainer both of evtool and the software library (erolib) in which the actual error occurs. However, I am not very familiar with the demo script or the details of the files it sends to evtool.

I have only quite recently become aware of this bug myself. It has been fixed in the latest versions of evtool and erolib. Unfortunately we decided that we could not patch the bug in the DR1 software release, because the whole point of this release was to keep (as far as possible) the same software versions in it as were used to process the data, so that users would obtain consistent values. The downside of this policy is that the release software is quite old. E.g. the version of erolib in the release is I think 2.70.3, whereas the very latest version (that includes the bug fix) is 2.102. That is quite a lot of patches and improvements which are alas, by policy, not present in DR1.

So, what to suggest to you? Firstly, I think you should omit to run the demo script. Then, if you need to use evtool to merge a large number of large files then I would suggest to merge them 2 by 2 rather than all at once. That worked for me, I hope it will for you too. If you still get the same error, let me know, and I will try to come up with a more successful workaround.

Cheers Ian.
mokshahuja09

Re: Try to test the installation of eSASS

Post by mokshahuja09 »

Thank you Ian, I will let you know if there are any problems.